Bygone Summers: Images of Chautauqua from the John H. Vincent Papers
Originally exhibited May 24–August 16, 2019
The Chautauqua Institution began in August 1874 as an experimental Sunday School teachers' training assembly held at Chautauqua Lake in western New York. By 1900 Chautauqua had grown to become a popular summer destination, an influential adult education organization, and an international movement blending education, religion, the arts, and recreation. Today the Chautauqua Institution continues to foster the pursuit of knowledge and serves as a national forum for discussion of public issues.
This exhibition presents photographs of Chautauqua Lake, the Chautauqua Institution, and Institution leaders taken during the late 1800s and early 1900s. These images are from the personal papers of Bishop John H. Vincent (1832–1920). The Vincent papers are part of the Methodist Studies Archive at Bridwell Library.
Bridwell Library Special Collections