Lantern slide of the Poços de Caldas, Brazil, Methodist Church, circa 1920
The Board of Missions of the Methodist Episcopal Church brought Methodism to Brazil in 1835. That effort ended in 1841 due to lack of funding. A second attempt, this time by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, began in 1867 and prospered. The initial target audience was Confederate expatriates who had settled in Brazil at the close of the American Civil War. By 1880 the church included Brazilian members and ministers. Today the Igreja Metodista em Brasil (Methodist Church in Brazil) has more than 162,000 members.
In 1920, the Poços de Caldas Church reported 118 members and was part of the Ribeirao Preta District of the Central Brazil Conference.