Minutes of the Building Committee for Kirby Hall, October 2, 1923
Photograph of Kirby Hall (now Florence Hall), Southern Methodist University, circa 1930
From 1915 until 1925 the School of Theology utilized Dallas Hall for classroom, office, library, and chapel space. A March 1923 gift of $100,000 from R. Harper and Annie Kirby of Austin, Texas, enabled the School of Theology to plan and construct its own building. This typescript document comprises the minutes of the October 2, 1923 meeting of the building committee for Kirby Hall. The accompanying photograph shows the results of the committee’s work. University and church officials laid the cornerstone on April 3, 1924 and dedicated Kirby Hall on February 12, 1925. Kirby Hall housed the School of Theology until 1951, when the theology quadrangle opened in its present location on campus. The new quadrangle included a new Kirby Hall. Old Kirby Hall was renamed Florence Hall and has served the Law School since the 1950s.