Carte de visite of the Bench Street Methodist Episcopal Church, Galena, Illinois, 1857–1877
Cartes de visite (calling card-size photographs) were patented in Paris in 1854. Because they were portable and inexpensive, cartes de visite became very popular in the United States during the Civil War. This image of the Bench Street Church was produced by D. H. Lamberson’s Photographic and Fine Arts Gallery of Galena, Illinois. It shows the church as it appeared between 1857 and 1877.