Lantern Slides produced by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South
A selection of items from the collection of Lantern Slides produced by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. View the full collection.
Lantern slides are positive transparent images on glass protected from abrasion by a second sheet of glass. This photographic technology was patented in 1850. Well into the twentieth century, touring lecturer-projectionists presented magic lantern shows to entertain and educate the public in churches, schools, and meeting halls throughout the United States.
Whether illuminated by candles, oil, or electricity, “magic lanterns” were the PowerPoint projectors of their day. Perkins School of Theology faculty members used lantern slides and this projector to illustrate lectures as late as the 1940s.